Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Captain Of Success
Top Stories

Stock Markets

DFA condemns Chinese Embassy’s job-loss threat

DEPARTMENT OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS FACEBOOK PAGE

THE Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) on Monday condemned remarks by the Chinese Embassy in Manila suggesting that Filipino job losses could result from an escalating diplomatic spat, warning that such statements risk further straining bilateral ties.

“We take strong exception to the embassy’s tone, which appears to imply that such cooperation could be withheld as a form of leverage or retaliation,” the DFA said in a statement issued late on Monday.

The rebuke marks the latest development in a war of words between officials from Beijing and Manila, after the Chinese Embassy released several statements criticizing Philippine officials for their vocal stance on the South China Sea dispute.

Some of the embassy’s statements directly named individual officials, prompting Philippine authorities to say the messaging crossed diplomatic norms.

“The DFA values cooperation with all states across economic, cultural, and other domains, as it delivers clear benefits to the Philippines and its people,” the agency said.

It added that the embassy’s remarks could be perceived as coercive and undermine constructive bilateral dialogue.

“The DFA once again urges the Chinese Embassy to adopt a responsible and measured tone in public exchanges,” it said.

Last week, Chinese Embassy spokesman Ji Lingpeng warned that proposals by Philippine lawmakers to declare certain Chinese diplomats persona non grata could affect diplomatic relations and “cost millions of jobs.”

The Philippine Senate earlier adopted Senate Resolution No. 256 condemning the Chinese Embassy for what it described as aggressive statements against Philippine officials and uniformed personnel over their position on the South China Sea.

The DFA said it remains committed to using diplomatic channels to stabilize and advance ties between Manila and Beijing despite recent tensions.

The South China Sea remains one of the region’s most volatile flashpoints. China has expanded its presence in the disputed waters despite a 2016 ruling by a United Nations-backed arbitral tribunal that voided its sweeping claims.

The dispute involves overlapping claims by the Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei, Indonesia and Taiwan. — Adrian H. Halili

    You May Also Like

    Stock Markets

    SEC studies lifting moratorium on new online lending platforms – BusinessWorld Online                                    ...

    Stock Markets

    Visitors browse locally made products on display at a trade fair in Mandaluyong City, Oct. 26, 2025. — PHILIPPINE STAR/NOEL B. PABALATE By Aubrey...

    Finance

    Steven Bartlett, the millionaire entrepreneur and Dragons’ Den investor, is facing mounting criticism from celebrities and content creators after comments made on his podcast,...

    Finance

    Next has bought the upmarket shoe and accessories brand Russell & Bromley out of administration in a £2.5 million deal, but the majority of...

    Disclaimer: CaptainOfSuccess.com, its managers, its employees, and assigns (collectively “The Company”) do not make any guarantee or warranty about what is advertised above. Information provided by this website is for research purposes only and should not be considered as personalized financial advice.
    The Company is not affiliated with, nor does it receive compensation from, any specific security. The Company is not registered or licensed by any governing body in any jurisdiction to give investing advice or provide investment recommendation. Any investments recommended here should be taken into consideration only after consulting with your investment advisor and after reviewing the prospectus or financial statements of the company.