Stock Markets

SC orders gov’t to comment on lawsuits seeking Duterte’s release

SC orders gov’t to comment on lawsuits seeking Duterte’s release – BusinessWorld Online

      
      
      
      
      








FORMER PRESIDENT RODRIGO R. DUTERTE — PCOO

THE SUPREME COURT (SC) on Thursday gave the government 24 hours to comment on a lawsuit seeking the release of former President Rodrigo R. Duterte from the International Criminal Court, which is set to try him for crimes against humanity over his deadly war on drugs.

In a statement, SC spokesperson Camille Sue Mae L. Ting said the tribunal had given Interior and Local Government Secretary Juanito Victor C. Remulla, national police chief Rommel Francisco D. Marbil and Executive Secretary Lucas P. Bersamin to “show cause” why it should not issue a writ of habeas corpus.

The high court also consolidated the petitions filed by his children Paolo who is a congressman representing Davao City, Sebastian who is the mayor and Veronica. The habeas corpus writ is a legal remedy against illegal detention.

Both Sebastian and Veronica said their father had been illegally arrested and was being detained by the ICC, which they said does not have jurisdiction over the Philippines. — JVDO

CEDTyClea





You May Also Like

Stock Markets

REUTERS By Ashley Erika O. Jose, Reporter THE PHILIPPINES is unlikely to meet its target of six initial public offerings (IPOs) this year as...

Stock Markets

REUTERS THE NATIONAL Government’s (NG) outstanding debt hit a fresh high of P16.31 trillion at the end of January as it ramped up borrowings,...

Stock Markets

The Philippine Academy of Rehabilitation Medicine (PARM) commemorated its 50th anniversary during its 35th Annual PARM Convention, held alongside the 9th ASEAN Rehabilitation Medicine...

Stock Markets

Lack of awareness on government support hinders young innovators – BusinessWorld Online                                    ...

Exit mobile version